This may come as a surprise to y’all but I’m actually not a huge chocolate fan… Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE chocolate but if someone were to line up a vanilla vs. chocolate dessert I’d probably lean towards vanilla every time. The only exception would be DARK chocolate! I absolutely love the richness and depth of flavor. Cue this Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Cake! 🙂
This moist and decadent dark chocolate cake is BEYOND delicious! Want to know little secret? This is literally the recipe from the back of the Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Cocoa box! If you’re not a huge “dark” chocolate fan, just substitute with Hershey’s regular cocoa.
I know you might be thinking — that is so simple! YES it sure is and that’s the BEAUTY of it! The only thing I tweak is the amount of icing. Y’all know I love a good icing to cake ratio! 😉 The very first time I made this recipe I completely forgot to add the cup of boiling water to the cake batter (so embarrassing lol). Be sure not to skip this step and learn from my mistake! Adding boiling water to a cake batter is most definitely not the norm, but I promise you this is what makes the cake SUPER moist! Cannot wait for y’all to try this recipe!
Hershey’s Dark Chocolate Cake
YIELDS 10-12 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 35 MINUTES
3/4 cup HERSHEY’S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, room temperature
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup water, boiling
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup HERSHEY’S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
pinch of coarse kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- On low speed, add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the boiling water (batter will be thin).
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
*Makes about 3 cups.
- In a large bowl, stir together the melted butter and cocoa.
- Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency.
- Add small amount additional milk, if needed (1 teaspoon at a time).
- Stir in vanilla and salt.
Cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 days. It can also be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-6 days.
Recipe slightly adapted from Hershey.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @petitesouthernkitchen on Instagram