Can y’all believe Thanksgiving is less than TWO WEEKS away?! November has literally flown by! I promised to post a ton of excellent holiday recipes & today is none other than Green Bean Casserole, which happens to be one of my faves! While it’s definitely not the most glamorous dish — it’s delicious & everyone LOVES it! 😉
What separates this recipe from this rest is the freshly grated PARMESAN cheese that is sprinkled all over the top. It takes this from being an ordinary green bean casserole to EXCEPTIONAL! 🙂
Feel free to use fresh green beans if you prefer but I always use the really good frozen french green beans! Oh, and did I mention that you can make this ahead of time?!? For me to this absolutely KEY for anything you’re going to serve on Thanksgiving! Enjoy y’all!
SHOP THE POST
Green Bean Casserole
YIELDS 6 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 30 MINUTES
3 cups chicken broth
12 ounces frozen whole green beans, thawed
2 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
⅔ cup sliced fresh mushrooms
⅔ cup diced white onion
1 can cream of mushroom soup
½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup freshly shredded parmesan
1 (2.8 ounce) can French fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring the chicken broth to a boil and add the green beans. Boil for 8 minutes, drain and set aside.
- While the green beans are boiling melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the diced onions and mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup, salt, pepper, garlic powder, drained green beans, and French fried onions. Stir until combined. (Do not add the fried onions if making ahead of time.)
- Spray an 1 ½ quart oval baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Add the green bean mixture and cook for 20 minutes.
- Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately and garnish with additional French fried onions (optional).
*To make ahead: This dish can be made up to 2 days in advance. Assemble the casserole as instructed but don’t mix in the crispy fried onions until you’re ready to bake. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or foil. Let sit at room temperature 15-10 minutes before baking.
Shred the parmesan cheese and store it in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Top with parmesan cheese & bake for an additional 10 minutes.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @petitesouthernkitchen on Instagram