There is nothing quite like a cold chicken salad sandwich in the summertime y’all! It is such a staple in the South and I consider it to be such a TREAT. Mix in fresh fruit & serve it on croissants and I promise it will not disappoint!
The red grapes, fuji apples, and fresh pineapple mixed with the savory chicken literally burst with flavor in your mouth! I love the fact that I can make a big batch and lunch is solved for a few days (bonus — my hubby is a huge fan of it too). All I have to do is put some on a buttery croissant which takes 60 seconds or less! I recently made a big batch for my best friends from college when we got together for a girls’ weekend in June. It was the BEST thing to have in the frig to snack on by the pool and we even ate it for dinner one night too!
This Fruity Chicken Salad is also a perfect dish to serve at a shower because you can 100% make it ahead of time! Loveeee that. I would also recommend serving my Southern Grape Salad with it for a sweet side or dessert! Enjoy y’all!
Fruity Chicken Salad
YIELDS 10 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 40 MINUTES
CHILL TIME: 4 HOURS
4 boneless chicken breasts
2 cloves garlic
1 cup Hellman’s mayonnaise
½ cup heavy whipping cream, plus more for baking chicken
1 package Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
1 fuji apple, diced
2 cups red grapes
1 cup pineapple, cubed
Croissants, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 9×13” baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the chicken breasts in the baking dish & pour some heavy cream over the chicken, using a brush to coat it completely.
- Chop the garlic into 5-8 pieces and scatter in the cream around the chicken.
- Bake for 20 minutes and flip the chicken breasts. Bake for another 20 minutes until the internal temperature is 165 degrees. Let chicken cool to room temperature before cubing.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, heavy cream, and ranch dressing mix.
- Using a large spatula, fold in the cubed chicken, diced apple, grapes, and cubed pineapple and stir until coated. Let chill overnight or at least 4 hours.
- Serve on croissants or by itself.
Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @petitesouthernkitchen on Instagram