Puppy Chow — AKA “Muddy Buddies” or Chex mix dowsed in powdered sugar — what could be better?! Well, I think I may have found something that is! Puppy Chow made with COOKIE BUTTER!!! Normally, it’s made with peanut butter but cookie butter takes it to a whole new level y’all! 🙂
If you haven’t tried Puppy Chow then today is your lucky day! I’m just warning y’all this stuff is DANGEROUS to have around the house! That’s why I usually make it and give most of it away to friends or neighbors lol. 😉 Speaking of giving it away, I love to buy these cellophane baggies! They are PERFECT for gift giving. My favorite ribbon is only $1 from Hobby Lobby — my favorite for Halloween is this black and orange striped ribbon! For small individual
Up until recently, I thought you could only get cookie butter from Trader Joe’s. Most of y’all probably know how much I love TJ’s and unfortunately, we don’t have one here in Jackson, MS. Good news though — you can order Biscoff Cookie Butter from Walmart! Who knew?!
Want to know one of my main inspirations for trying cookie butter?? My husband developed a peanut allergy a little over two years ago. And when I say allergy we are talking about an anaphylactic allergy. He now has to carry an EpiPen everywhere he goes. Long story short — a couple of years ago he wandered into the kitchen for his “midnight snack” lol after we had fallen asleep on the couch. Within minutes his face & throat started swelling. If you’ve ever seen the movie Hitch that’s the closest thing I can compare it to. Y’all, it was the craziest thing because he ate peanut butter in some way shape or form almost EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. in medical school! Luckily, he’s an ENT resident and we live two minutes away from the hospital so he was fine but it was super scary. All this to say, I’m VERY careful when it comes to making sure recipes don’t have peanuts (that’s why I give the option of Reese’s Pieces or M&Ms below). Thank goodness cookie butter doesn’t have any traces of it! 🙂
*Full disclosure: this goes without saying but this is NOT for dogs! 😉
SHOP THE POST
Fall Cookie Butter Puppy Chow
YIELDS 18 CUPS
PREP TIME: 15-20 MINUTES
5 cups Chex Rice Cereal
5 cups Chex Corn Cereal
1 (14 ounce) jar Biscoff Cookie Butter
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 cups confectioner’s sugar, divided
1 (16 ounce) bag candy corn autumn mix
2 cups mini pretzels
2 cups Reese’s Pieces or M&Ms
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- In a very large bowl, combine the rice & corn cereal and set aside.
- In a small bowl, scoop the cookie butter out of the jar using a spatula. Melt the butter and while it is still hot add it to the cookie butter. Whisk together until completely combined.
- Immediately pour the cookie butter mixture all over the Chex cereal. Using a very large spatula or spoon, gently mix together until all of the pieces of cereal are coated.
- Grab two 1-gallon ziplock bags and put 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar in each bag.
- Divide the cereal mixture in half and add to the ziplock bags.
- Shake vigorously until completely coated.
- Pour the coated Chex mix out onto two pieces of parchment paper and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the coated Chex mix back to the large bowl and add candy corn autumn mixture, mini-pretzels, and Reese’s Pieces. Toss to mix.
- Add coarse kosher salt and toss again.