I’ve held this cookie recipe near and dear to my heart for over 10 years now and it’s time to share it with y’all! I’ve been making these delicious and dare I say “semi-healthy” Dark Chocolate Coconut Oatmeal Cookies since I was in college y’all! I used to make them for my roomies ALL. THE. TIME. 🙂 And I continue to make them for Jaxon because they are some of his all-time favorite cookies!
Dark Chocolate + Coconut = the BEST flavor combo. And the low-fat cream cheese really makes these cookies stand apart from other oatmeal cookies! The creamy tartness balances all the sweetness from the light brown sugar, chocolate, and coconut.
NOTE: It’s really important to use all-purpose WHEAT flour! I’ve tried this recipe with white flour when I was out of wheat and the flavor & texture of these moist chewy cookies just wasn’t the same.
If you don’t have dark chocolate chips feel free to substitute them with semi-sweet chocolate chips, they will turn out just as good! 😉 Cannot wait for y’all to try this recipe! Be sure to tag @petitesouthernkitchen on Insta stories if you make them! Bon appétit y’all!
Dark Chocolate Coconut Oatmeal Cookies
YIELDS 14-16 LARGE COOKIES
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 10-12 MINUTES
⅓ cup low fat cream cheese softened, about ⅓ of an 8-ounce package
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 egg yolk, room temperature
¾ teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon coconut extract
¾ all-purpose wheat flour
1 ½ cups old fashioned rolled oats
¾ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
½ cup sweetened coconut flakes
½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy.
- Add the butter and light brown sugar. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until completely combined.
- Turn the mixer down to low and add the egg yolk, vanilla, and coconut extract.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the wheat flour, old fashioned rolled oats, baking powder, and salt.
- With the mixer on low, add ½ cup of the dry ingredients at a time until combined.
- Add the coconut flakes and mix until combined.
- Fold in the dark chocolate chips with a spatula.
- Use a large cookie down scoop to transfer the dough onto the baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Use two fingers to gently flatten each cookie before baking. (The cookies will not cook thoroughly if you skip this step).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
It’s SUPER important to flatten each cookie with two fingers before baking! Also, the wheat flour gives the cookies a lot of great flavor so don’t substitute with white flour unless you absolutely have to.
Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @petitesouthernkitchen on Instagram