This recipe holds a special place in my heart, because it was adapted from one of my favorite restaurants back home in Texas. Perini’s Steakhouse is famous for their award-winning bread pudding. This recipe is beyond simple and mouthwatering. The secret is all in the Jack Daniels whiskey sauce.
You most definitely don’t have to be a “baker” to make a delicious bread pudding. If you are wanting to really impress your friends and family I highly recommend starting with this recipe. It is essentially FOOLPROOF and requires few ingredients. I can usually throw this together in about 10-15 minutes.
Fresh cranberries and grated orange zest make this the PERFECT holiday dessert.
Cranberry Orange Bread Pudding
YIELDS 8 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 50-60 MINUTES
4 slices sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 tablespoons vanilla
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup fresh cranberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup bourbon, preferably Jack Daniels
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, orange zest, and vanilla. Slowly whisk in the melted butter.
- Add in the sugar very slowly while whisking. Beat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Arrange the 1-inch cubes of sourdough bread in the bottom of a round 9-inch baking dish.
- Slowly pour the batter over the bread cubes. Make sure the bread is fully saturated.
- Sprinkle the chopped pecans and fresh cranberries on top.
- Using your hands gently press the pecans and cranberries down into the bread.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until the bread is slightly toasted.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium low heat.
- Add the heavy cream, sugar, and bourbon.
- Stir constantly and bring to a low rolling boil.
- Pour sauce over individual servings of the bread pudding.
Recipe adapted from Tom Perini.