Quiche is one of my absolute favorite food items! I almost always have all of the key ingredients on hand, so this is definitely a weeknight dinner staple at our home. It’s very easy to throw together and there are endless ways to mix up the ingredients!
Growing up my mom always made crab quiche. It was one of my favorite things she made for our family! Over the years I’ve tried various versions, and this is by far my favorite! The sweetness of the crab meat along with the Swiss cheese, lemon, and Italian parsley make this quiche light & savory.
Adding a pinch of cayenne and a tiny bit of Worcestershire sauce are the key, secret ingredients. You will see below that I suggest using the imitation crab meat, such as Simply Surimi Seafood Flake Style, instead of fresh crab meat. I’ve tried both and the imitation crab meat is by far better to use in a quiche for a few reasons. One, it is thick and flakey so it doesn’t fall apart in the quiche. Two, the color of the imitation crab meat is pink compared to the fresh crab meat that looks almost like tuna after it is cooked. The pink coloration signifies to your guests that it’s a crab quiche and the presentation is much prettier. Third, it has a sweeter taste which counters best with all of the other ingredients. And finally, it’s much more affordable which is always a win! 🙂 This recipe is perfect for dinner served with a fresh spring mix salad. Bon appetit!
YIELDS 8-10 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 55-70 MINUTES
1 store-bought pie crust, slightly thawed
8 eggs, room temperature
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ teaspoon Worcestershire
Pinch cayenne pepper
2 cups freshly grated Swiss cheese
10 ounces imitation crab meat, chopped
2 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs.
- Mix in the heavy cream, salt, pepper, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, Worcestershire, and cayenne pepper. Beat until combined.
- Add the cheese, chopped crab meat, and parsley.
- Roll out the store-bought pie crust in a deep-dish pie pan.
- Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork.
- Slowly pour in the egg mixture, make sure ingredients are spread out evenly.
- Cover lightly with foil and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 10-20 minutes until the middle of the quiche is set.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
Be sure to use a deep-dish pie pan. A bottomless tart pan is another great option and makes the quiche look beautiful!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @petitesouthernkitchen on Instagram