As y’all probably know by now — Downton Abbey the movie premiers TODAY!!! In honor of the premiere, I posted my recipe for Cranberry Orange Scones earlier this week and today I’m SO excited to share these Cheesy Crab Stuffed Mushrooms with y’all!
For those of you not familiar with Downton Abbey, its story is based upon the Crawley family who is very wealthy and lives in what some might call a castle. Many of the scenes in the TV series take place in the formal upstairs dining room where crystal, china, and silver are used on a daily basis and 7-9 course dinner meals are the norm. Can you imagine that kind of lifestyle?! I most certainly cannot, but it’s fascinating to me! I think that’s one of the reasons why I love the show so much! 🙂
In keeping with the theme of Downton Abbey this week, I knew I wanted to come up with a recipe that would be fit to serve in their formal dining room but could also be easily made & served in our modern-day kitchens and not-so-fancy dining rooms.
In my personal opinion, stuffed mushrooms are a TREAT y’all! I tend to think of them as a pretty fancy appetizer, but fancy doesn’t have to equal complicated. These would be a great appetizer to go along with steak for the main course — both would make for an amazing Surf & Turf meal! This recipe is SO EASY and I cannot wait for y’all to try it!
SHOP THE POST
Cheesy Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
YIELDS 8-10 SERVINGS
(ABOUT 2-3 MUSHROOMS PER PERSON)
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES
16 ounces white button mushrooms (about 24 total), stems removed & discarded
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 ounces goat cheese, softened
¾ cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon cayenne
¼ cup green onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
8 ounces cooked crab meat, finely chopped
½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon lemon zest
½ cup Italian bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 13×9 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on medium speed beat together cream cheese, goat cheese, and ½ cup parmesan until light and fluffy.
- With the mixture on low, add the salt, pepper, cayenne, green onions, parsley until combined.
- Then add the crab meat, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together Italian bread crumbs and remaining ¼ cup of grated parmesan cheese and set aside.
- Fill each mushroom generously with the cheesy crab mixture.
- Then roll the tops of each stuffed mushroom in the bread crumb mixture to coat.
- Arrange the mushrooms in a baking dish in a snug single layer. Bake for 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Transfer the baked mushrooms to a platter and serve immediately.
To prepare ahead of time the day of serving, stuff the mushrooms with the cheesy crab mixture and store in the refrigerator. Wait to roll the tops of the mushrooms in the bread crumb mixture until just before baking.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @petitesouthernkitchen on Instagram