I also like to think that these cookies are semi-healthy since they have carrots, oats, walnuts, and raisins lol! That’s probably debatable considering all of the butter and sugar. 😉
Carrots are super sweet so they are the PERFECT addition to classic oatmeal raisin cookies. Make sure to finely shred the carrots yourself! I tried using the store-bought carrots that are shredded and they didn’t turn out nearly as good. Enjoy y’all!
SHOP THE POST
Carrot Cake Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
YIELDS 16 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 12-15 MINUTES
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperate
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 extra large egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon rum extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup raisins
1 cup carrots, thinly shredded*
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter, dark brown sugar, and granulated sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer on low, add the egg and then the vanilla and rum extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, coarse kosher salt, and old-fashioned oats. Stir together and fold in the raisins.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture.
- Then add the freshly grated carrots and chopped walnuts until combined.
- Use a scoop to drop the dough onto two sheet pans lined with parchment paper and gently flatten with two fingers.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Let the cookies cool for a few minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
*Thinnly shred the carrots yourself — don’t buy the pre-shredded kind that comes in a bag.
This recipe will also make 24 small cookies if you want to use a heaping tablespoon of dough.
I highly recommend making cookie sandwiches using cream cheese icing. See my recipe for Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies.
Store in an air-tight container for 3-4 days.