These Caramel Chip Bars are soft, chewy, gooey, and decadently delicious! Need a dessert recipe that you can make completely beforehand? Look no further y’all! I started making this recipe my freshman year in college, and I’ve probably made these bars 50+ times since then! They are a favorite amongst my family and friends.
The secret to this recipe is the dough that is made out of yellow cake mix (a classic southern staple in many desserts), and also the super easy caramel sauce that is layered in between. It simply consists of a jar of Smucker’s Salted Caramel Topping heated in a saucepan with a stick of melted butter and a can of sweetened condensed milk. What’s not to love about that? 😉
The mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, chopped heath bar, and white chocolate chips give these bars a wonderful texture! These bars can be made completely beforehand and stored in the refrigerator. I also highly recommend serving them slightly chilled! Enjoy!
Caramel Chip Bars
YIELDS 12-16 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 25 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 50 MINUTES
1 (12 ounce) bag mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 Heath bar or 1/4 cup Heath bar baking chips
1 box yellow cake mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, room temperature
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (11.5 ounce) jar salted caramel topping, such as Smuckers
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with parchment paper, and line it all the way up the sides.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium low heat. Add sweetened condensed milk, salted caramel topping, and coarse salt. Stir constantly with a whisk until smooth. Set aside and let cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment, mix together the yellow cake mix, oil, and eggs. Mix well until the batter is a dough like consistency.
- Fold in the chopped Heath bar, mini chocolate chips, and white chocolate chips into the dough. Mix until just combined.
- Press 3/4 of the dough into the greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire wrack for 10 minutes. Then pour on the caramel sauce & drop the remaining dough on top.
- Bake for an additional 25 minutes.
- Let cool for 45 minutes more.
- Refrigerate or freeze for 1 hour before slicing.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
Highly recommend making these in advance the night before and serving these bars slightly chilled! Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.