There is just something about having a fresh loaf of breakfast bread that is such a luxury to me. Maybe because I can literally roll out of bread and immediately have something super delicious and made from scratch without having to do any work. 😉
I’ve been making a lot of banana bread lately so I thought it would be the perfect time to come up with a new recipe that included blueberries & a sweet crumble topping!
To enhance the blueberries I decided to add ½ teaspoon of lemon zest and it’s a game-changer. I’m always amazed when one TINY ingredient makes all the difference in a recipe.
My favorite way to eat this for breakfast is a wrapping a slice in foil and heating it up at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes. Then top with a little butter. 💁🏼♀️ Enjoy y’all!
Blueberry Banana Crumble Bread
YIELDS 1 LOAF
PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 75-85 MINUTES
⅛ cup granulated sugar
⅛ cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 pinches nutmeg
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons, all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups mashed bananas, about 3 bananas – (see instructions for the easiest way to mash bananas)
1 ¾ cups all purpose flour, plus 2 teaspoons to toss with blueberries
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ½ cups granulated sugar
2 extra-large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon lemon zest
½ cup sour cream, room temperature
1 cup frozen blueberries
Confectioner’s sugar, garnish
- In a small bowl mix together the granualted sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Stir in the melted butter.
- Mix in the flour using a fork. Use your fingertips to make it crumbly.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add bananas and beat on low and gradually increase the speed to medium-high until the bananas are completely mashed. Use a spatula and scrape the mashed bananas into a seperate bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until flight & fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Turn the mixer down to medium-low speed and add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Then add the sour cream, mashed bananas, vanilla, and lemon zest. Beat until combined.
- Turn the mixer down to low and slowly add the dry ingredients until combined. Do not overmix! 🙂
- In a small bowl toss the frozen blueberries with 2 teaspoons of flour. This will prevent them from sinking to the bottom.
- Using a spatula, fold in the chopped blueberries by hand.
- Generously spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and smooth out evenly with a spatula.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes uncovered. Then cover the pan loosely with foil.
- Bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- The bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely in the pan.
- Dust with confectioner’s sugar.
It’s SUPER important to use the right size loaf pan — 9×5 to be exact. My favorite way to eat this for breakfast is a wrapping a slice in foil and heating it up at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes. Then top with a little butter. 🙂
Double wrap in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 4-5 days.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @petitesouthernkitchen on Instagram