I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone who doesn’t love cobbler & ice cream! But seriously, it’s ALWAYS a major crowd-pleaser & this recipe is so easy it’s absolutely FOOLPROOF. 🙂
In my opinion, apples & cranberries are the perfect flavor combo for the holidays! I cannot believe I haven’t thought of pairing them together until now! It’s really important to buy the two types of apples listed in the recipe below — 3 granny smith & 3 golden delicious! The first time I made this cobbler I only used granny smith apples and I found that is was a little too tart paired with the cranberries. Using the golden delicious apples was a PERFECT balance!
One of the things I love most about this cobbler recipe is how easy the dough is! No rolling it out, which is always a win in my book. Not to mention, I LOVE that the crust looks like cobblestones — hence the name cobbler. 😉 It also symbolizes that you made this 100% from scratch!
The cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, rum extract, and orange zest take this cobbler to a whole new level when it comes to major flavor with the volume turned up! I love how they all complement the apples & cranberries.
Now, if you HATE peeling apples like me then do yourself a huge favor and buy this adorable red apple peeler & slicer! I love that it’s kind of vintage and bonus it’s on sale for ONLY $9 right now! I cannot wait for y’all to make this for the holidays! Bon appetit y’all!
SHOP THE POST
Apple Cranberry Cobbler
YIELDS 6-8 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 25 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 45-55 MINUTES
3 granny smith apples, peeled & sliced
3 golden delicious apples, peeled & sliced
1 cup fresh cranberries
½ teaspoon cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons rum extract
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon orange zest
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced into small pieces
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
⅓ cup granulated sugar
2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, diced into small pieces
1 large egg
½ cup heavy cream
Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, cranberries, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, rum extract, sugar, orange zest and cornstarch. Pour the mixture into the baking pan.
- Top with 2 tablespoons of diced unsalted butter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a pastry cutter, cut in 2 tablespoons of cold butter into the dry ingredients until no visible pieces remain. (If you don’t have a pastry cutter, simply rub in the cold butter using your fingertips).
- Cut in the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter until the mixture is in even pea-size pieces.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and heavy cream.
- Using a spatula, fold in the cream mixture into the dry ingredients.
- The dough will be shaggy and loose.
- Spoon large spoonfuls of dough on top of the fruit in large clumps (it should look like old-fashioned cobblestones, hence the name cobbler).
- Place the baking dish on top of a cookie sheet to prevent any fruit from spilling over.
- Bake until golden brown & a toothpick inserted in the center of the topping comes out clean, about 45-55 minutes.
- Cool cobbler on a wire rack, about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @petitesouthernkitchen on Instagram