These strawberry cupcakes are some of my absolute favorites! I especially love how thick and fluffy the frosting is. Just FYI — I’m definitely one of those people who likes a little bit of cake with a lot of frosting. 🙂
I started making these Strawberry Cupcakes back in college and it has been a tradition ever since to make them every year for Valentine’s Day! To be honest though I probably make them at least four or five times a year!
Using strawberry puree gives the icing and cake a natural pale pink tint, which I love because it signifies they were made from scratch. If you want a more vibrant pink I would recommend adding a drop of red food coloring. 😉
YIELDS 12 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 45 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 22 MINUTES
2/3 cup frozen strawberries, thawed
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/4 cup whole milk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
2 egg whites, at room temperature
3 tablespoons strawberry puree
2 sticks unsalted butter, slightly chilled
Pinch of coarse kosher salt
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan.
- Puree strawberries in a food processor. (Be sure to reserve an additional 3 tablespoons of puree for the icing.)
- Mix 1/3 cup of strawberry puree with milk and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With an electric mixer using a paddle attachment, cream the butter on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add sugar, reduce and slowly add egg & egg whites.
- On low speed, add half of the flour mixture, then half of the strawberry mixture.
- Repeat with the remaining flour mixture, followed by the strawberry until just blended.
- Divide batter evenly.
- Bake for 22 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before icing.
- In and electric mixture using the paddle attachment, beat the butter and salt until light and fluffy.
- Reduce mixer to low and slowly add powdered sugar.
- Add vanilla and strawberry puree. Do not over mix. The icing should be dense and creamy.
A large cookie scoop works great to divide the batter evenly.
Recipe adapted from Sprinkles.