To be completely honest, I wasn’t a huge “grits girl” growing up! To me, they were always SUPER plain and only served at breakfast. As I got older, I discovered CHEESE grits (emphasis on the cheese), and they are in a completely different ball game y’all! 🙂
You may be asking yourself how can cheese grits get any cheesier or creamier?! Well
The inspiration for this recipe came from a birthday party I went to a few months ago! It was for one of my best friends here in Jackson and they had a “Cheese Grits Bar” — how GENIUS is that?! I knew the second I tasted them, I had to rush home, jot down some notes, and recreate the recipe!
These Cream Cheese Cheddar Grits came out perfect — the combination of the grits with sharp cheddar cheese, garlic salt, and cream cheese is beyond SIMPLE and most importantly delicious. Then just add some yummy toppings and it equals perfection! I love using my Juliska Triple Server to serve the toppings in.
I’m hosting a baby shower this weekend and literally cannot WAIT to set up my own Cheese Grits Bar! More pics to come on that. 😉 In the meantime, enjoy!
Cream Cheese Cheddar Grits
YIELDS 8-10 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 8 MINUTES
2 cups quick grits
6 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 stick unsalted butter, diced
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
Green onions, chopped
Grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Using a dutch oven, bring the chicken stock, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to a boil.
- Add the quick grits and turn the heat down to low.
- Stir until combined and place the lid on.
- With the heat on low, simmer for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add the diced butter and grated cheese. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add the cream cheese, and stir until combined. Replace the lid to keep warm.
- Serve with chopped green onions, shredded cheddar cheese, bacon bits, and chipotle sauce as a garnish.
I love to serve these as a side! You can even set up a “Cheese Grits Bar” with plastic cups and everyone can top them with whatever garnishes they want.
Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. These are best made the day of, but are still great as leftovers! 😉
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Tag @petitesouthernkitchen on Instagram